Somehow, at some point, lots of people started starting sentences with “that moment when”. I’m not sure who started it or why, but it’s pretty annoying. Especially when ‘that moment’ is as mundane as burning toast or getting the old fella stuck in your zipper. But there are moments that are worth making special mention of…
1. That moment when… you wake up and realise you’ve missed the train station you were supposed to get off at, and are now speeding towards another city you have no idea about.
2. That moment when… you realise that no one in the world has a fucking clue where you are in the world, and it’s awesome.
3. That moment when… you realise all your friends are at work, while you’re drinking beers on a moonlit beach/climbing a glacier/riding an elephant/making friends with the guy making your tacos
4. That moment when… you buy a plane ticket, see the confirmation come to your email, and suddenly nothing else matters except counting down the days
5. That moment when… you start paying for things in a foreign currency without even checking the numbers on the coins.
6. That moment when… you realise a foreign city now feels like home, and you don’t need a map anymore.
7. That moment when… you look at your bag and realise you’ve only used a quarter of what you brought
8. That moment when… you run into someone you met in another city, or another country, at some hostel. And then the moment happens again somewhere else. And again.
9. That moment when… you vow to never work in an office again, because listening to guitars under the stars is how life should always be.
10. That moment when… you realise everyone in the dorm room is listening to you have sex
11. That moment when… you order something from a foreign menu, and something completely different comes out to what you expected. But you eat it anyway.
12. That moment when… you realise no one is even making a big deal about the fact your riding on top of the bus/train.
13. That moment when… you get on a plane coming home, hear your country’s accent, and suddenly want to get off the plane and race back to the beach.